Music

February 21, 2006


- What do you think faith is?
- Faith is the belief in something that can't be proven to exist.
- And why don't you have it?
- I think God is something People use to avoid reality. I think faith allows People to reject what is in front of our eyes, which is that this thing, this life, this existence, this consciousness, or whatever word you want to use for it, is all we have, and all we'll ever have. I think People have faith because they want to need to believe in something, whatever that something is, because life can be hard and depressing and brutal if you don't.
- You may be right, but what about accepting the idea that faith can make your life better. I know my faith makes my life better, and whether what I believe in exists or not, because I have faith in it, I get the benefits of that faith ... You can't prove love or friendship exist, but you still have faith in them. I'm asking you to apply the same principle to someething greater than yourself.
- I can feel love and friendship. I can see and touch and talk to the People I love and the People I choose to make my friends. The idea of God doesn't make me feel anything and I can't see God or touch God or talk to God.
- Have you ever tried to open yourself up to the idea of faith? ... I want you to stop intellectualizing it and try to open yourself to it.
- I've never believed in God, not even as a little Kid. I'm not going to start now.

~ James Frey, " A Million Little Pieces"

Posted by - constanthing
Categories:

 

0 comments:

 
>